The Awesome 80's! Boy, do I miss those times! I guess you could call me an 80's baby, as I grew up during those years.....going from a baby to a pre-teen. I grew up in New Jersey, home of The Boss and Bon Jovi. Jon Bon Jovi even went to school with my cousins and lived a few blocks from us. I remember watching my girlfriends and members of my family teasing their hair up to the sky and my mom spraying tons of Aqua Net hairspray all over her hair, which always landed on me somehow too. I remember how much joy I got when I heard "Wake Me Up Before You Go- Go" by Wham! I got up and danced my heart out the first time I ever saw the video and a big smile came across my face. To this day, I still love that corny song and always dance, smile and sing along when I hear it. I remember women drinking Riuniti wine and guys wearing shirts that said, "Frankie Says Relax" on them. I loved everything about the 80's and I miss those years very much. I thought I'd share some of my favorite things from the 80's with you.
- John Hughes Movies: Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Christmas Vacation, Plains, Trains & Automobiles, Uncle Buck, Sixteen Candles, Mr. Mom and The Breakfast Club, to name a few.
- Toys: Teddy Ruxpin (the talking bear), Rubik's Cube, Boom Boxes, Atari, Nintendo, Cabbage Patch Kids, The Smurfs, Care Bears, Rainbow Brite, Garbage Pail Kids, My Little Ponies, Pound Puppies, Stickers of all kinds, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and going to the arcade.
- The Clothing: Legwarmers, grey sweatshirts or over-sized sweaters with leggings, Spandex, Jelly shoes, British Knight sneakers, Member's Only Jackets, Denim Jackets, Leather Jackets like the ones Michael wore, blazers, ripped jeans and high tops.
- The Accessories: Funky, plastic bracelets, Charm necklaces, Swatch watches, mesh earrings, New Kids On The Block buttons, lace fingerless gloves, Ray-Ban's and mullets were some of the best accessories.
- The Music: Madonna, Wham!, A-ha, Van Halen, Beastie Boys, Heart, Motley Crue, Run DMC, Debbie Gibson, Cyndi Lauper, Hall & Oates, Rick Springfield, Billy Ocean, The Human League, The Go- Go's, Whitney Houston, The Bangles, Prince, The Peters (Cetera and Gabriel), Def Leopard and Flock of Seagulls. There are so many more.
- TV Shows: Diff'rent Strokes, Silver Spoons, Webster, Punky Brewster, Family Ties, Who's The Boss, Dynasty, Dallas, Saturday Night Live, Pee Wee's Playhouse, Charles in Charge, Growing Pains, 227 and the Golden Girls, to name a few.
- The Slang: Awesome, Barf me out, Bogus, Gag me with a spoon, Dweeb, Eat my shorts, Poser, Lame, Rad, Preppie, Yuppie, Word and Totally, Like - Fer sure!
- The Horror Movies: Friday the 13th, Halloween, Hellraiser, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Shining, Poltergeist, Pet Cemetary, Fright Night, The Thing, Day of the Dead, An American Werewolf in London, Child's Play and The Lost Boys are just some of the many wonderful movies that came out and are still some of the best today.
- The Coreys: Corey Haim and Corey Feldman. I was OBSESSED with Corey Haim and even have Corey Haim and Corey Feldman's autographs from the set of one of their many movies, "Dream A Little Dream"! Sadly, Corey Haim passed away March 10th, 2010. I felt like a big piece of my childhood got taken away that day. R.I.P. Corey Haim.
So those are just some of the many things that I love and miss about the 1980's! What do you miss, if anything?